9 Filmmakers Receive FilmTT Funding
Photo caption: FilmTT’s Chairman with the winners of the 2017 Open Call for Small Marketing and Development Grants. (Standing, left to right): Everard McBain, Dixie Ann Archer-McBain, Leslie-Ann Wills-Caton, Annisa Cadogan, Carver Bacchus, Mariel Brown, Christian James and Christopher Din Chong, (seated, left to right) Abigail Hadeed, Chairman of FilmTT, Dionne Mc Nicol Stephenson, Lesley-Ann MacFarlane, Tenielle Newallo.
The Trinidad and Tobago Film Company Limited (FilmTT) recently awarded investment funding to nine (9) T&T film and audio-visual producers who applied for the company’s 2017 Open Call for Small Marketing and Development Grants. The Open Call, which was available to all residing national and permanent residents of Trinidad and Tobago, was published in March 2017 and attracted more than twenty (20) applications for various film-related projects.
Nneka Luke, General Manager of FilmTT, explained, “FilmTT remains committed to driving the development of the sector, even more so in a year where the company and the wider community are experiencing financial constraints. This Call has allowed us to provide micro-funding towards active film and audio-visual projects, at a time when the company is not positioned to invest larger amounts in initiatives such as script development or productions. All applications were carefully evaluated against specific criteria, and nine of them will now be one step closer to advancing their respective projects.”
Small grants were awarded to 9 local filmmakers for the following projects:
- Michael Mooleedhar - social media marketing strategy for the upcoming feature film Green Days by the River
- Leslie-Ann Wills-Caton – marketing strategy for FIXERtales, a Trini-Caribbean television series
- Abigail Hadeed –Spanish and French subtitling for feature film Play the Devil for distribution to international audiences
- Lesley-Ann MacFarlane – production of a 60-second sizzle reel for feature script in development Scattered
- Tenielle Newallo – social media marketing strategy for feature film The Cutlass
- Everard McBain – online distribution for the animated short Celflux Reluctant Heroes: The Secret Weapon
- Mariel Brown – production of a trailer for the upcoming feature film Unfinished Sentences
- Clarence Carver Bacchus – Attend the CaribbeanTales International Film Festival to seek distribution agreeements for the Green Screen’s library of content.
- Christopher Din Chong - Attend ScriptFest 2017 and take part in the Great American Pitchfest including masterclass, one-on-one meetings and consultations for his slate of films.
Awardees will report on the progress of their projects so that FilmTT can continue to track overall development in the sector.